For those of you that are just plain human, have you ever considered what it would be like to be a shifter? Me, if I a going to dream, it is going to be big. Dragon shifter has got to be the way to go right? I mean – DRAGON!
In truth, I suspect that while being a shifter has its perks, there may be some downsides. So today I invited author Jamie K. Schmidt to educate us on the pros and cons of being a Dragon Shifter. Having researched the subject for The Emerging Queens series, Jamie is a top expert on the subject. Here are her thoughts and on Pros and Cons of Being a Dragon Shifter….
In a world where dragons are the elite of society, there are some pretty sweet perks. But it’s not all sunshine and roses. Here are the top 5 pros and cons of being a dragon shifter:
1. You have a hoard. Carolyn from The Queen’s Wings hoards books. Viola from The Queen’s Flight hoards yarn, and Margery from The Queen’s Dance hoards tea. If you have an obsession with a certain object, you might be a dragon waiting to shift.
2. You can kick serious butt in a fight. Dragons are magic and it takes a lot of damage to harm them. They can only be killed by other dragons, powerful magic rituals, or by the Order of the Dragon Slayers, a secret organization that makes sure the treaty of 1099 between humans and dragons is upheld.
3. You can use your magic to change appearances. Sick of having brown hair? Just a slight concentration and it’s green! You dripped spaghetti sauce on your white blouse? Now you’re wearing a new outfit.
4. You pretty much control the world, or at least your little territory. Or at the very least, the little humans in your area. But as with everything, there’s always going to be someone bigger and badder than you.
5. You have a long life. After a few centuries, if you survived the adolescent fights young dragons get into, you’re considered a young adult. The oldest of the dragons are several thousand years old.
Sounds pretty good, right? Well, there’s also the down side . . .
1. If you’re a male dragon, or a stud, you are subservient to a dragon female, called a Queen. And if you’re a rare female dragon, unless you have a court of studs ready to protect you, you are a target for lonely studs who want a mate or crazy cultists who are trying to kill off the dragon species by destroying all the Queens.
2. Once you shift into a dragon, all hope of having a normal life is gone. All Queen Margery from The Queen’s Dance wanted to be was an investigative reporter, but her shift threw a wrench into those plans. She had a territory to build, dragon studs wanting to protect and mate with her, all the while trying to stop and expose a terrible drug operation that was killing human women.
3. It’s like a never ending episode of the Bachelorette. Up until recently, there were only five Queens in existence, and over three thousand studs. The Queens were not allowed to choose their own mates because it was up to them to populate the species. Only a very loyal stud out of the masses was chosen to mate with the Queen and have his line continue. And a Queens job was to keep popping out babies, all from different fathers.
4. Forget about privacy. Humans buy pictures of dragons for $1,000 each. Everyone wants a piece of the dragon pie. Humans can become “dragon struck” and worship dragons as if they were their personal saviors. A Queen is expected to always have her protector and current consort with her at all times.
5. Being a dragon shifter makes The Game of Thrones look like Monopoly. Someone is always plotting something and it usually involves mass destruction and death. While the Queens’ machinations are behind the scenes, it’s usually the new dragon shifters and humans who bear the brunt of their politics and whims.
So what do you think? Do the Pros outweigh the Cons for being a dragon shifter?
Jamie, thank you very much for that enlightening information! I’ve decided I am happy being just plain human for now. Although, I do have my own hoard of books. And tea. And fabric. Hmmm.
Would you like to do your own research on dragons shifters? Check out The Emerging Queens series. Book 3, The Queen’s Dance releases today! For more information on all three books in this amazing series, keep reading. And then, be sure to enter Jamie’s giveaway (Rafflecopter link below) for a dragon coloring book, colored pencils and a dragon plush.
Are you ready for Champ? This dragon stud might be limited on land thanks to being a water dragon but there’s no finer protector for Queen Margery. If you love dragon shifters don’t miss this newest installment in the Emerging Queens series.
Despite his handicaps outside his natural habitat, water dragon Remy “Champ” Champlain fights to protect Queen Margery from those who plot to quash her damaging news reports by silencing her…forever.
He can never have her, but he’ll protect her with his life.
After newly shifted sky dragon Queen Margery is rescued from smugglers by water dragon Remy Champlain, she debates whether to flesh out the story that nearly got her killed or embrace her royalty and build a court of protectors and studs. Sparks fly between Remy and her. He’d love her to give up her job and settle down…hopefully with him…but he can’t fly and she can’t swim, so their relationship can never get off the ground.
Pick up your copy today:
And don’t miss the rest of the Emerging Queens series:
FBI dragon Reed’s disdain for humans can’t mask the magnetic attraction he has for Carolyn, but when she tells him she’s going to shift into a dragon he thinks she’s crazy. A female hasn’t been hatched, or shape shifted, in over a thousand years. He’s proven wrong after Carolyn shifts and is named the new Queen on the block. When the Cult of Humanity kidnaps Carolyn to sacrifice her, Reed must face his fears—and feelings, racing to save the woman he realizes he can’t live without.
Viola Pierce has never had particularly great luck with guys. That is, until the day she shifts into a glorious, deadly, three-headed dragon. As it turns out, Viola is a dragon Queen. As a rule, Sergei hates Queens, but the Viola’s beauty and humanity reach something deep within him. When she names him her protector and consort—quite by accident—a heated and unexpected attraction grows. But the dragon court is ruthless…and what doesn’t kill Viola will only make her more dangerous.
Find them at your favorite retailer!
About the author:
Jamie Kleinkauf-Schmidt has over thirty short stories published in small press and ezines. She holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the State University of New York at New Paltz in Secondary Education English, which is a fancy way of saying she went to college to teach high school English. When that didn’t pan out, she worked as a call center manager, a Tupperware consultant, a paralegal, and finally a technical writer for a major conglomerate company. She is an active member in the Romance Writers of America (RWA), serving as the PRO liaison for her local chapter Connecticut Romance Writers of America (CTRWA).
When not writing, Jamie relaxes with a mug of hot tea and knits or makes beaded jewelry. She sells her handcrafted items at The Dudley Farm during the summer. A voracious reader, Jamie has a Kindle and is not afraid to use it.
Connect with Jamie K. Schmidt